Monday 2 May 2011

Recoleta Cemetery and my first true BA meal

So once we dropped off our bags in our uncleaned room hoping it will be cleaned upon return, we set off into Buenos Aires. It was clear blue sky and quite warm - gorgeous day.

First thing was food.  Dan took me to La Poesia in San Telmo.  It is a member, Les Notables, a group of old school cafe/restaurants in Buenos Aires.  My stomach still feeling off after last night's toilet affair (Dan made fun of me often joking that the way I deal with stressful situations is that he deal with everything and I go to the toilet...which was true).  I really liked this cafe with all its antique items and photos around the restaurant.  I needed something heavy in my stomach since it felt so empty.  I ordered a cheeseburger.  It was huge but oh so delicious... probably the best cheeseburger I have ever had.  It was like a home-made patty, cooked just right on the grill and yummy.  I'm liking this city !

la poesia cafe

My cheeseburger and Dan working on computer.
This became a recurrent scenario during our trip
(Dan on the computer I mean)

la poesia cafe

We then headed to the exclusive Recoleta neighbourhood by subway or Subte as it is called.  All guide books and people who are from or have been to Buenos Aires said - go to Recoleta Cemetery.  It is home to the graves of many famous Argentinians such as Eva Peron.  It is almost like a little city with streets and alleys.  There is an impressive variety of mausoleums, statues and gravestones in many architectural styles.  So much work and detail, it is really impressive and lots to look at.  For some reason, I love cemeteries, they are for me a place a peace, tranquility, history and mysteriousness. This cemetery did not disappoint.  Took lots of photos - Dan and I were happy.  Okay, bare with me, there are numerous photos to follow:

Entrance to Recoleta Cemetery

Recoleta Cemetery

Recoleta Cemetery - inside a mausoleum

Recoleta Cemetery

Dan is so dedicated to his blog, he works even in the cemetery

Recoleta Cemetery

Recoleta Cemetery

Recoleta Cemetery - she's tired

Dan hard at work.  Inside these mausoleums there were often
coffins and other memorabilia.  Pretty creepy.

Recoleta Cemetery

Recoleta Cemetery - one of my favourites

Recoleta Cemetery - this statue was gorgeous

Look at Dan - gorgeous even in a cemetery setting

Recoleta Cemetery - cool reflection and notice stain glass work at the top

Recoleta Cemetery

Recoleta Cemetery -  I love the art nouveau piece in the center

Gravestone of Eva Peron

Trying to look mysterious

Once we had our photography fix, we decided to have a drink at a cafe and also so Dan can go on Wifi (needs his fix).  We were served by a surly waiter who said yes it was obvious we were gringoes so he brought us the English menu.  Gracias.  Dan and I are silly and we like to do silly things.  He thought it would be a good idea to put on some of my tinted lip balm.  We had a good laugh and so did the lady at the next table.

p.s. next time Dan don't put on so much

We then decided to do more walking through Recoleta and take the Subte back home.  By then, it was kind of rush hour so the Subte was packed.  We got sardined in the middle of the train.  When our stop arrived, we had to difficultly squeeze out.  I took the lead and when no one budged, I decided to start shoving and so did they and then all of a sudden the gringoes were literally pushed off.  Thanks for the lift chicos.  I then realized that I banged my toe on something, was bleeding and dirty.  Already I have the ugliest weird shaped feet and toes and now they look even worse.

Gratitude of Subte passengers

After the electricity troubles mentioned in the first post and moving into our new room, we were settled.  We decided to go to a restaurant recommended in my Lonely Planet in San Telmo.  We were in search of this famous Argentinian steak.  We got to the restaurant but it looked more like a bar.  Across the street though was A Los Biefe, it was dead but we felt a good vibe about it.  They had parrilla (BBQ) which is what we wanted. We ordered a steak, with grilled vegetables, fries and Malbec wine.  It was ssoooooo good. This was exactly what I expected as a typical meal in Buenos Aires.  It became in our comparison bar the best and the rest had to beat it.  Actually, at the end of my trip, it remained No 1.

Add a little chimichurri and perfect

Dan is happy

After dinner, we stumbled back to the hostel completely satisfied.  Went to bed hoping no more bed bugs.


6 comments:

  1. Hey Chantal! The pictures are gorgeous... my favourite is the one inside the mausoleum. And 'completely satisfied'... that's got to be the best way to stumble into bed. Looking forward to more.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. right let's try again, being somewhat aware of how things are spelled: so.
    you said you are not creative but gril, this has got creative written ALL over it.
    ok that looks like it is spelled ok.


    merde.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the photos Chantal. What a beautiful place to spend the afternoon.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wonderful view of a real city! I live in Santa Fe, 480km to the north...I love Buenos Aires for being a tourist! Amazing pictures!

    ReplyDelete