Saturday 28 May 2011

A Day in Uruguay

Daniel and I wanted to go to Uruguay today but were quite disorganized to do so.  We had no ticket booked on the Buquebus (shuttle ship) and no idea when they leave.  So we woke up early and headed to our favourite neighbourhood café, Desirio, to check things out on the Internet.  Dan called to see if there were tickets left but had trouble communicating with the agent.  Our waitress said, "Oh, the Buquebus office is at the corner right over there at Maipu and Florida".  So Dan decided he would go find this office while I run back to the apartment to get my passport and camera.  


We met up and Dan was discouraged because he did not find the Buquebus (I love saying this word) office and realized Maipu and Florida are parallel.  It was almost 9:20 and the Buquebus was supposed to leave at 9:45 am.  So we decided to chance it and hop into a taxi. 


The Amazing Race began... thankfully we had an efficient and rapido taxi driver.  We got to the Buquebus at 9:30 almost.  Dan ran out of the taxi to the Information desk while I paid the taxi.  When I got in, I looked around and noticed a screen that said 'Ticket Sales'. I turned to tell Dan but he was busy sticking his finger in some guy's face who was trying ask the agent a question before him (it was a very funny sight).


The famous Buquebus


We go to the ticket sales counter and a woman who was probably the fastest I have ever seen on a keyboard, ultimate turbo, printed out our tickets within 2 minutes.  She yelled 'inglès' to a colleague who told us we had to pay at another counter.  We ran to the other counter and paid then ran up the stairs to security.  The security agents asked "Boarding pass !".  What this isn't a boarding pass?  Pointing back down to the counter, they screamed "rapido!" (and of course laughing at the gringos).  Ahhh, so we ran back down, and got our boarding passes (what up with that, three different counter places to do everything?).  We ran back up, "Si, boarding pass" they said laughing.  We quickly went thru security and then had to go thru Uruguayan immigration who were of rapid efficiency as well.  We got our passports stamped and ran up the ramp to get on the Buquebus at 9:43 a.m.  We high-five each other in awe that we made it on.  This was a major Amazing Race achievement. Phewww.


Yeah !  We made it !


The Buquebus was a three hour ride, we had plenty of time to chill and check out the views of the Rio de la Plata to Uruguay.


See you later, Buenos Aires - go away clouds !




Uruguayan flag over Buenos Aires
You don't see this is Canadian ship bathrooms.  Everybody drinks yerba mate tea around here and throws it in the sink.


We are so cool it's ridiculous... except for my hair, what up with that swirl in the wind?  


Colonia, Uruguay, here we come.   Note the lighthouse (we will be there later....)


Yeah !  We have set foot in Uruguay, another country on my list !




Right away when we arrived, many people were waiting for us offering scooters, golf carts and restaurants.  Not thanks chicos.  Right away though, I like the feeling of Colonia.  What a nice change from Buenos Aires.  It's quiet, quaint, wide streets some cobble stone, lots of trees, old colonial style buildings, random old school cars and the water.  It is obviously a tourist town but I like it.  Dan and I were happy because lots of photography potential however I wish it wasn't overcast. 


A beautiful street of Colonia


I love these trees, so much texture.  They had them in Sydney, Australia too.


Tree graffiti


They have palm trees too.


Water is not really clear...


Bustin' a move yo


Old school cobble stone street.




So many colourful buildings in Colonia


We sat at that café.


Scooters and other motorbike type vehicles seem really popular here.


Scooters, scooters, scooters.


Cool ride.


I love how people there say Uruguay - real emphasis oh guay.  It was hard to say it right.


In Argentina and Uruguay, there are stray dogs everywhere.  Especially in Colonia, dogs just take a rest wherever they want even in the middle of the sidewalk.  Good for them.


Looks like a dead dog but she's just taking a nap on the sidewalk.


We stopped for some lunch at an overpriced tourist restaurant but it had a good location in an open plaza type area.


Well that's annoying.  We changed tables.


Feisty Daniel.  That was a good iced tea.


This was a huge piece of salmon, lots of shrimp and the infamous potato balls.  I didn't really like the balls.


I am usually not a great fan of the ravioli however this was very good homemade style ravioli.


We went for a walk up the lighthouse.


Up at the top


Wait... what is Daniel doing? Bloody hell, unstoppable - the cemetery, the lighthouse...


View of Colonia from the lighthouse.


Dan needed his a wifi fix (it's like hanging out with a drug addict), so i wandered on my own...


Cool shadows...


I made a friend along the way.


Agua caliente for those yerba drinkers.  I read that apparently Uruguayans drink more yerba


Alright.... already time to go back.  I wish we would have stayed in Colonia over night.  I liked this place.  See you next time Uruguay.


Dan is in shock.  He doesn't want to leave Uruguay.

2 comments:

  1. I love the captions on the photos... like two storytellers chiming in together. The 'Buquebus'... I agree, great word!

    Next time you get down South America way you know to book a night in this country. I also really liked the feeling of shift from the population and rush of B.A. to the openness and slow pace of Uruguay.

    PS I tried to comment on your previous post, but was denied! Hope this one sticks. The image of Eva Peron's tribute as a homeless sleeping spot - fascinating. Wonder what she would have thought of that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely photos, Chantal. I thought that swirl in your hair on the Buquebus (Hey! I'm catching that too!) looked like something some people spend hours at the hair salon trying to achieve.

    Oh' and I would like some of that ravioli, please.

    ReplyDelete